Darren Powell has a vast experience in providing representation to insurers and their insureds throughout Pennsylvania. Mr. Powell defends clients in a variety of complex civil actions, both in State and Federal Courts. A focus of his practice, however, relates to first party claims, claim investigations, coverage issues and extra-contractual claims. Mr. Powell’s prior experience includes counsel with Nationwide Insurance, where he provided guidance and training to the Pennsylvania claims organization.
Much of Mr. Powell’s practice involves consulting and guiding his clients during ongoing claim investigations, conducting EUOs and drafting reservation of rights and coverage position letters. He frequently presents training and seminars on first party claim handling and bad faith litigation. Due to his extensive claims and legal experience, Mr. Powell also assists other counsel by serving as a bad faith expert.
Mr. Powell is licensed to practice in:
- All Pennsylvania Courts
- U.S. District Court – Middle Districts and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals- Third Circuit
Mr. Powell is affiliated with the following professional associations:
- Cumberland County and Pennsylvania Bar Associations
- Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (PAMIC)
Mr. Powell is vested in the community and holds or has held these posts:
- President, Dickinson Federalist Society
- Member of the Trial of Champions National Mock Trial Team
- Co- Chair, Student Bar Association Speaker Committee
Mr. Powell served in the U.S. Army Reserve as a Military Police Officer from March 1983 through March 1989.